1. Setting up the alarm just before going to bedWhile it seems very practical to set up the alarm as the last task of the day, it has one important drawback. Most mobile phones will indicate the time left till the alarm goes off. But it is best, if you are unaware of the duration of your sleep. If your regular sleep time is 7 hours and if the phone alarm indicates that you have only 5 hours left to sleep, then it can worry your mind. And worrying will make it difficult to get the most out of your 5 hour sleep. Even when you know you don't have enough time, it helps not to know how much exactly.
It is easy to fix this problem since most phones come with a 'repeat alarm' feature, that allows you to set the alarm to go off at the same time every day.
2. Keeping the phone too close to your bedIf you, like me get less than the optimum amount of sleep, then keeping the phone away from your reach would be a good idea. You will soon learn to switch off the alarm, without getting up properly. Don't keep the phone too far away, as it needs to be loud to wake you up. The alarm speaker is usually on the back of the phone, so keep that side up for a louder alarm tone.
Keeping your phone away from your bed will also cut down your radiation exposure while you sleep.
3. Using the snooze buttonAvoiding the 'snooze' button is a good policy. But for most of us, the snooze button gives us as a second chance to wake up to the alarm. Unfortunately those additional few minutes won't get you enough sleep. So it is best to keep your mobile phone alarm's snooze delay to under 4 minutes. Any nap under 4 minutes is too short for our brain to register as sleep (unless you are severely sleep deprived).
4. Not waking up at a regular timeMobile phone alarm is easy to set up. So it encourages you to change the alarm time on a daily basis. But this will only make it difficult to wake up. Waking up at a regular time, regardless of the time you goto sleep, is a good habit. You can use the 'repeat alarm' feature here as well.
5. Using the wrong alarm toneOne advantage of mobile phone alarm is the range of alarm tones that are at your disposal. While the type of alarm tone is a personal choice, few things can help you get the best use of your alarm tone.
Human voice such as a song will work best since we are genetically programmed to be more receptive for human voice. But some find an annoying or a loud alarm tone more effective in waking them up. A gentle alarm tone can give you the perfect beginning to your day.